Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Temperaments

Hippocrates (460-370 BC) divided temperaments into four categories[1]:

  1. Choleric. Persons with this type of temperament have a lot of ambition, energy, and passion, and try to instill it in others. They can dominate people of other temperaments, especially phlegmatic types.  But they are easily angered or bad-tempered.

  2. Sanguine. Persons with this type of temperament always feel confident (sometimes cocky), and also arrogant. But they are also considered indulgent (lenient).

  3. Melancholic. Persons with this type of temperament can be highly creative, but can also become overly pre-occupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world, thus becoming depressed. They are also often a perfectionist, being very particular about what they want and how they want it in some cases.

  4. Phlegmatic. Persons with this type of temperament is calm and unemotional. They generally self-content and kind, but their shy personality can often inhibit enthusiasm in others and make themselves lazy and resistant to change. They are very consistent, relaxed, rational, curious, and observant. They are more reliable and compassionate than Sanguine, that makes them a more dependable friend.


My friends once told me that there is a way to recognize people's temperament: see what they say while seeing something bad.

  • Choleric guys will say "hey, that's a terrible situation, I'll go there and help them" (go there and do something)

  • Sanguine guys will say "hey, that's a terrible situation, come on people, please help them" (and just saying that)

  • Melancholic guys will say "how pity they are" (and moaning)

  • Phlegmatic guys will say "oh, that's a terrible situation" (and do nothing)


Most people usually have two dominant temperaments, and two non-dominant temperaments. You can take this test to see your portion of temperaments. Mine is 48% Melancholic, 33% Phlegmatic, 8% Sanguine, and 13% Choleric.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Temperaments

5 comments:

  1. hm.. thnk u for the link "test" sir..
    I have read the book about personality like these and that book help me to recognize my self. My strength and my weakness.. So I can improve and use my strength and trying to reduce my weakness :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, I do believe that temperament can be changed. We just need to exercise the good habit more and more, and not using our temperaments as an excuse for our weaknesses (e.g "what can I do? I'm too melancholic to face that situation").

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, I have just remember about how to make sure our temperament from a book that I have read. When we want to determine our temperament, that book recommended us to discuss it with our close friend. Because usually when we are doing test, we give more respect to our strength and sometimes we denied our weakness (Hehehe.. I've been like that). The result of my temperament is very different when I take the conclusion alone and after I have disscuss with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my self is a combination of phlegmatic and melancholic where phlegmatic is the most dominating temperament........ :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @glorialimbong:
    Yup, it's good to hear other's opinion about our temperament, but in my opinion, we're the one who really knows about ourself (from a book that I read, we can't judge what other's temperament is). Even if you paid more attention to your strength than your weakness, deep in your heart, you do realize about your weaknesses.

    @bonar:
    Quite the same with mine, but don't be too comfort with our current temperament. We can change it for the better.

    ReplyDelete