Friday, August 15, 2008

Logic is Everywhere

Today is the last day of Summer School program that followed since 4th August 2008 at Faculty of Computer Science, University of Indonesia. The topic of the summer school is "Computational Logic and Its Applications". Almost all the lecturers are from TU Dresden, Germany. But there is also one lecturer from ANU, Australia, and of course one from UI.

The topic is really new for me, since my educational background is in Mathematics, and I work in education field in Informatics, so I never learn (or even heard) about Computational Logic. And as I predicted, the topic is really brain-teasing. Classical Logic that I've learned in one of my course during my undergraduate study is far simpler than what I learned during the summer school.

I'll write (very) brief information about each of the lectures in my next posts, but for now, I'll just give a general information about the courses given.

The first course was Propositional Logic and Satisfiability Testing from Holldobler. He's the Director of the ICCL. Then came Axel Grossmann with his Probabilistic Reasoning. Topic about Proof Theoretical Foundations for Specification Languages was given by Alwen Tiu. Stefanus gave course titled Modal Logic (where truth has several modes ;p). Course about Description Logic was given by the only beautiful lecturer of all, Anni-Yasmin Turhan. Possega gave a course on Interactive Theorem Proving. And the last but not least, a the only mathematician, Ganter, who gave a course on Formal Concept Analysis.

Frankly, I don't understand the whole course very well, but I'll try to learn it again when I come back to my campus, because all the topics are really interesting.

Well, that's all for now, hopefully I have enough time to write each of the courses given.

No comments:

Post a Comment